Friday, January 16, 2015

My 2014 in Retrospect


It’s been a year of self recovery and rediscovery.

I never thought 2014 would be this much memorable and, I must say, a redefining year for me. A lot of things have happened to me this year and while some of them weren’t that favorable, I still consider them parts of the bigger picture.

I started the year with a very positive and hopeful outlook but then a series of twists and turns led me to becoming the most paranoid and hopeless individual I could possibly become. And all it took was a (lingering) pain in the back.

Guess that was one of my weaknesses – HEALTH issues. I value health so much that a sudden disturbance to my normal bodily functions got me super scared and worried, which in turn attracted a lot of other negative stuff. I started feeling weak and vulnerable to other diseases. I started creating symptoms that, heck! I don’t even know if they’re really there. Haha!

I’d be honest that at some point, I just wanted everything to end in a snap (but I didn’t want to die!). To cut it short, I was crazy the first half of the year. From February to May (I think), I was so consumed about me deteriorating and dying.

Crazy, right?

Then off I went to Qatar. I must admit, I have already deleted this possibility in my mind. All I could envision that time was that I was bound to just stay at home and rot. But a “force” made everything possible. In just a few weeks, everything was flawlessly prepared.  The only thing that’s not prepared was me. It took a lot of self-talk and convincing from family members before I really said yes to the plan.

I left the Philippines sad, scared and totally afloat. I’ve wasted too much time over thinking to the point that I was already blinded by my misery. Yes, it was depression. And that time, I thought nobody really understood what I was going through.      

That kind of mindset went on ‘til early June. It was tiring. It was suffocating. It was a bad, bad experience. I hate the feeling but I was too weak to overpower it. Then I started letting God take over.

Prayers and constant communication with God led me to where I am now. By the end of June, I was already getting back on track.  I found a job (or should I say, it found me). There were still humps along the road and I was still a bit surrounded by negativities (and I almost retreated, actually) but faith kept me going. Faith and the belief of His bigger plans made me stronger. I started making new friends, I started thinking about future plans again, which were shelved when I was still “in the dark,” and I started thinking about living again. I never thought I’d reach this state of mind again.

2014 taught me some of the most important lessons in life.

First, uncertainties are the only things certain in this world. We may have plans (and know how to execute them) but we can never be sure that these plans will turn out they way we want them to be. It’s always good to have plans but it’s also a must to expect the unexpected.

Second, there is really a bigger plan. We may have everything laid out already in our head but God has a bigger plan for us and all the things that have happened and are happening to our lives right now are parts and portions of it.

Third, guilt is like a disease that could slowly eat you up. I’m no saint, I’d be honest. I did things in the past that I’d consider “out of the ordinary” and therefore, had to be kept to myself. Later this year, there were things that came up that pushed me to break the wall and open up to my brothers (if they’re reading this – which I doubt they would (Haha!) – they would know). It was liberating. The assurance of their love and support made me bear the weight of the feeling.

Lastly, life is still worth it. When we’ve come face to face with our biggest problem, I think most of us would just want to escape and end the suffering. We are dazed by the pain that we want the quickest relief. Some resort to developing vices and all that and worse, some people take their own lives. While it is, indeed, the fastest way to end all sufferings, it will definitely get us into a more miserable destination.

Anyway, what I’m trying to say is that life is a journey and for sure, it will not always be a smooth path. There will always be bumps along the way and rocks falling here and there but always and I mean, ALWAYS GIVE LIFE A SECOND, THIRD, FOURTH AND SO ON CHANCE AND BELIEVE THAT EVERYTHING WILL TURN OUT FINE.

We are here, breathing, because each of us has a purpose. We may not see clearly during the rough times but when the clouds have all departed, we’ll realize that life is beautiful and that there are still things to discover and learn; things that are worth living for.

I did not mean to make this entry too melodramatic but I guess this year really had been quite such a ride. Happy New Year, everyone!

Let’s all live life to its fullest. J   

No comments:

Post a Comment